Friday, July 14, 2006

Modern Quilting




Some detailed versions of my quilt because I always hate how quilts photograph flat...

I've long been an avid reader of Kim's Modern Quilt-Along posts. As soon as I stumbled across the first mentions of the FunQuilts Modern Quilt Workshop book I had to have it. Since then I've drooled over pictures of the quilts being made in the Modern Quilt-Along group and also over the pictures in the book itself without actually getting my 'hands dirty!'

A question we hear often as people (most often new quilters) come into the shop and look at the Kaffe Fassett wall is 'what goes with this' (accompanied by hand in the air holding a bolt of Kaffe Fassett fabric)? They've shown great taste zooming in on his stuff :) and we want to encourage them to let loose with print and colour inhibitions.

When we received a shipment of 30 Kaffe Fassett/Rowan fabrics a little while back, I grabbed 10 fat quarters pretty much at random and threw them together into a Modern Quilt Workshop 'Plain Spoken' quilt. It definitely looks different from the versions made with the delicious Kona Cottons out there in blogland. And mine is just a little baby compared to most of the double, queen or king versions that other quilters have slaved over. But I still love mine. And I think I proved the point that any of Kaffe's fabrics can happily co-habit in a quilt if you keep the pattern simple. The detailed pictures do more justice to the quilt than the version below, but just because I hate flat quilt pictures doesn't mean that you should miss out....




And finally, so you know that I love the quilt made up in plains, I have started my collection of plains to make a lovely version in Kona Cottons and Kaffe's shot cottons. Six more of our backorder of the shot cottons came in yesterday - very exciting! They'll join their brothers and sisters on the shelves and in my plain spoken pile this afternoon.


2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hello Alison, I just received my copy of Patchwork & Quilting. I was so surprised to see your article on blogs. I am a recent blogger and found your article very helpful although I had already set mine up, I have added you to my favourites and a couple of other. I hope to find a swap one day when I get some crafty things to swap.
Thanks again for your helpful hints.
Fiona (dragonfly-crafts)

Anonymous said...

Every now and then I take a look at what interesting things quiltmakers are doing with the patterns from our book. I just stumbled onto your delightful use of Kaffe's fabrics in our Plain Spoken pattern. While we designed that quilt with solids in mind I think it lends itself equally well to the "more is more" approach you've taken with the prints. Great job!