Monday, June 29, 2009

Proof positive



A long, long time ago I was watching a formula 1 grand prix and was inspired by David Coulthard's helmet design to make a simple blue and white wool felt quilt.

After I moved to England it languished. Top and back pieced, quilt basted, and a few very rough rows of large stitch handquilting done.

Years later I tried to fit it into my suitcase on a visit back to Oz. It didn't fit. But Mum and Dad took pity on me (it?) and posted the quilt to me to finish. And guess what - it is!!

I worked on this one on Grand Prix Sundays, ironically while watching DC as one of the new BBC commentators. Many metres of blue sashiko thread, plus a couple of odd rows of white and orange perle cotton, and I have a cuddly woollen quilt just waiting for those winter nights to come back again. Oh, it's satisfying to get one of those WIP's out of the way.

And as I seem to take photos at the oddest times, there are no detailed shots of this one. One day I'll remember, when the light is OK, and will post them up then. But really - the quilting is homey, but nothing to boast about....

No comments: